COVID-19: Shell India’s responseSummary | Updated, Mar 23, 2020 13:47
Yesterday was a unique Sunday. Like many Indians, I marked the day in a less traditional way by practicing social distancing and staying home with my family and observing the Janta Curfew to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We remain steadfast in our support to combat the spread of COVID-19. I will also be continuing to oversee the hard work that our dedicated teams in Shell India are doing to address this challenging and uncertain time.
Over the last few days we have all been inundated with what is happening all around the world on COVID-19. Clearly there is a lot that we don't know and the uncertainty weighs on all of us. Our hearts go out to everyone who has been impacted by the virus either directly or indirectly. As COVID-19 continues to impact communities across India, I want to take a moment to share some of the actions our company is taking to help “flatten the curve” but also maintain the essential services by focusing on the health and safety of our people and customers.
- Like many others and in compliance with various government notifications, we have instilled a mandatory work from home. We do provide some essential services and in those cases the role is considered critical and cannot be performed offsite. For these few cases we have protocols in place to prevent exposure incl. social distancing, rota systems etc.
- We have stopped business travel inside and outside of India and stopped visitors to our operating sites.
- We are providing regular updates to staff and giving them resources and information to support their work and well-being, including new policies to help them and their families cope. We are conscious that a prolonged duration creates a tremendous amount of mental strain on any individual and while we hope for a short duration, we are putting in place the right level of support for a long duration.
- Given the importance of the right information and facts at this time, we have provided all our staff easy to access material and useful links from WHO and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India
- Shell fuel stations will remain open across the country. Our Shell retailers are worried about exposure and are being extra vigilant to ensure every precaution to safeguard the health and safety of retail associates and customers.
- In our other businesses and ventures, as appropriate, we have put in place business continuity plans to ensure we meet the expectations of our partners and our customers some of whom are also essential services.
Shell has been serving the country for more than 25 years and our fuel stations support the local communities in many ways including fuel and other necessities. I encourage you to read our note to customers from my colleague Sanjay Varkey, the head of our Indian retail business, to find out more about what we are doing to keep our customers and retail associates safe.
I appreciate that this is a distracting and concerning time for everyone. I am encouraging Shell staff to do the right thing for themselves and their families, and put families first. At the same time, our hearts also go out to those at the front line, medical staff and care givers who put themselves at risk to do all it takes to serve others.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and follow advice from public health authorities to help ensure the ongoing well-being of our staff, customers and local communities. We may not be physically together but by collaborating we are stronger and together we can make a difference!
Chairman, Shell Companies in India