Shell’s global STEM education programme, NXplorers, comes to New Delhi
Dec 18, 2018
- 2,60,000 students across 3000 schools in India to explore issues and design solutions to solve real-life problems around food-water-energy
New Delhi: Shell brings its global Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education programme, NXplorers to New Delhi. Launched in the presence of Shri Manish Sisodia, Deputy Chief Minister, Delhi, in a programme attended by students, school principals, teachers and media at the Rajendra Prasad Sarvodaya Vidyalaya, President Estate, New Delhi, NXplorers has already reached over 30 schools in New Delhi. NXplorers is an endeavor by Shell to nurture young minds to design sustainable solutions to ease the pressure on food, water and energy supply using a unique combination of Systems Thinking, Scenario Planning and Theory of Change. The programme is being rolled out across four states and aims to reach 3000 schools and 2,60,000 students between 14-19 years of age by 2020 in India.
Launched in 2017, NXplorers is available in 14 countries including India, Brazil, Egypt, Nigeria Kazakhstan, Australia, Oman, Qatar, UAE, China, Brunei, Singapore, Philippines and Trinidad.
Speaking on the occasion, Chief Guest, Shri Manish Sisodia said, “I congratulate Shell and Learning Links Foundation for launching the NXplorers initiative and giving an opportunity to children to identify problems and develop sustainable solutions. The programme is in line with our focus on providing quality educational and developmental opportunities to students of government run schools. We need to encourage students to think out of the box, think local and instill a thinking to challenge the existing and go beyond the textbook to find solutions beyond the obvious. We want to create a generation that is not just seeking jobs in the future but is empowered and capable to offer job opportunities for others. Let us shape young minds today to become the leaders of tomorrow.”
Mr. Nitin Prasad, Chairman, Shell Companies in India also added, “Food, water and energy systems that form the foundation of growth for India and other countries across the world are tightly interlinked. Water is needed to extract energy and generate power; energy is needed to treat and transport water; and both water and energy are needed to grow food. This creates a critical nexus or a series of connections. Shell NXplorers aims to instill complex and creative thinking skills in young Indian minds to bring about a positive change to our country’s food-water-energy nexus. Students explore issues and causes, create actions and design solutions to power sustainable growth for India and the world. We are grateful to the government of Delhi for giving us the opportunity to partner with us for this programme and we aim to increase participation of the schools in the region in the next three years.”
- Delivered mainly at government and municipality schools in its first year with special focus on girl students
- A facilitated programme where teachers and students learn about and engage in real world issues through three stages:
- Explore, where students identify the issues, its causes, and ways to dig deeper into the issue
- Create, where students identify the actions needed to bring about the change, and envision the preferred future
- Change, students design the roadmap to reach the preferred future
- Learning Links Foundation (LLF), a non-profit organisation dedicated to enhancing the quality of education, promoting innovation and developing future ready citizens has been selected to implement the NXplorer programme in India
- Some of the projects being carried out by students include: biogas production from the local food/agricultural waste, smart drainage system using algae and bacteria, ‘seedographer’ that improves resource use efficiency in agricultural farms, smart irrigation system that can help farmers to optimize water usage.
About Shell in India:
Shell is one of the most diversified international energy company in India with over 7000 employees, 200,000 retail customers and a 250 - strong distribution network. It brings world-class energy solutions across traditional, new energies and its derivatives to individuals and enterprises. Shell’s Lubricants business is active across the full lubricant supply chain - manufacturing base oils, blending base oils with additives to make finished lubricants, and distributes, markets and sells lubricants in over 100 countries. Shell’s retail presence in India spans five states – Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Maharashtra and Gujarat. Shell operates a LNG re-gasification terminal at Hazira in a joint venture with Total. Through its subsidiary, BG Exploration and Production India Limited, Shell holds a 30% interest in, and is joint operator of the Panna - Mukta oil and gas fields. India is home to Shell’s world class centres carrying out operations, IT and innovation mandates in Bangalore and Chennai. The company is nurturing a vibrant ecosystem in India to accelerate energy innovations with the Shell E4 programme for startups, Shell Eco-marathon and investments in new energy companies like Husk Power. Shell remains committed to making positive contributions to the communities in which we operate through NXplorers, Access to Energy and Road Safety across India. Follow @shell_India @makethefuture @shell_ecomar to know how we are redefining the energy space.
Senior Account Manager, Edelman India
Sneha.firstname.lastname@example.org / +91-9958000706
Senior Account Executive, Edelman India