Frequently Asked Questions for #makethefuture Accelerator India 2017
About Accelerator India Programme
1. What is the Shell #makethefuture accelerator India programme?
Shell #makethefuture Accelerator India is an awards programme that invites startups and entrepreneurs to demonstrate and showcase their bright energy business ideas and solutions. The programme aims to encourage and accelerate the development of ideas that can help provide more and cleaner energy solutions. The top three finalists will receive coaching from experts on how to grow their ideas into reality, before pitching to an esteemed jury to decide the final winner.
2. What will the selection process entail?
There will be 4 stages in the evaluation process:
- Initial screening of applications: Applications will be screened for eligibility against the assessment criteria (see section 3 for criteria) and those who do not meet the criteria will not proceed to the next round
- Shortlisting: 10 semi-finalists will be shortlisted based on the initial screening of applications
- Evaluation: Based on the assessment criterion, the teams will be ranked
- Accelerator event: The top three ranks will be invited to participate in an Accelerator event at Make the Future Singapore, a festival of ideas and innovation for Asia taking place from 16-19 March 2017. All applicants will need to be available to attend this event should they be selected as one of the top three finalists.
- Final pitch event: The top three finalists will present their idea to a panel of judges at the Shell Technology Centre Bangalore
3. How will the entries be evaluated?
|Innovation and technology
|How innovative this new idea/product/service is in producing more and/or cleaner energy - You will need to provide proof that demonstrates potential to accelerate the transition to a low carbon economy
|Commercial viability and feasibility
|Is the business plan realistic, comprehensive and actionable - You will be asked for evidence of sound financial planning and market understanding
|Bright energy idea
|How does the business model improve energy efficiency and/or reduce energy waste that reduces CO2 - You will be asked to provide any research or assessment/calculations undertaken that clearly demonstrates or substantiates this
4. Can you share any information on previous or similar challenges?
The Shell #makethefuture Accelerator is coming to India for the first time. Shell #makethefuture currently supports seven bright energy ideas globally including GravityLight, a UK start-up that, with Shell’s support, recently launched their clean energy solution to communities in Kenya. For more information, visit www.shell.com/makethefuture.
5. What are the important dates?
|16 January 2017
|03 February 2017
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates
|Mid- February 2017
|Accelerator Event, Singapore
|16 – 19 March 2017
|Pitch Presentation and Winner announcement
|End March 2017
6. Can my organization submit more than one application?
We will only accept one application per organization.
7. Can we participate if we are already getting support from another funding agency or investor?
Yes. The application form will ask you to provide details of any external funding received by your team.
8. Is there a registration fee?
There is no registration fee to participate.
9. How do I register for this awards programme?
Start-ups can participate in the awards programme by registering their business ideas through an online link provided on Shell India website – www.shell.in. The link will direct the applicant to an online application form that will ask for specific details with respect to their personal information, business model/solution, contribution to India’s energy scenario and feasibility in the Indian market.
10. Who can apply?
- Operate in an Indian city
- Have an India registered entity
- Be in post pilot or prototype stage
- Be available to travel to Singapore between 16th – 19th March for the Accelerator event
They must focus on models or technology to:
- Improve energy efficiency
- Reduce energy waste
- Reduce CO2 emissions
- Generate energy from a new source
- Broaden access to energy
1. What is the language of submission?
2. Will all application forms be read?
We will read all applications that are complete and fulfill our eligibility criteria.
3. Is there a team size requirement?
No. In case, of more than three members, please provide an organogram. Additionally, clearly specify the details of the team member who would be representing the business throughout the competition process.
4. Is there any age limit?
18 is the minimum age limit for the team member who would be representing the business throughout the competition process. For rest of the team members there is no age restriction.
5. Do we have to submit additional material?
The application form provisions for you to submit PDF files for specific inputs. The jury will take all submissions into account. The additional material section is for supplemental material, and only if required. You will not be penalized for not submitting additional material.
6. Will our information be kept confidential?
Your information will be shared with the application review team and the panel of judges at the pitch. We will take your permissions before sharing your information outside of this group. For more information, read our Terms and Conditions.
1. Who will assess my application?
All complete and eligible applications will be reviewed by an esteemed jury comprising of senior leaders from Shell.
2. What can we expect from the #makethefuture Accelerator event in Singapore?
The #makethefuture Accelerator event in Singapore will allow finalists to meet and discuss their business plans with experienced entrepreneurs and experts. In addition, the event will include capacity building sessions that will help prepare finalists for their pitch to the judging panel at the end of March.
3. Who will judge our pitch?
The jury will be diverse and inclusive drawing from international / national experts.
4. What can I win?
- Top 10 short-listed students and start-ups: All the 10 short-listed teams will be invited for the Shell Technology Centre inauguration event in Bangalore scheduled for end of March 2017
- Top three finalists: The top three teams will be entitled to the following:
- A maximum of two people per finalist enterprise will be invited to attend the Accelerator Event at Make the Future Singapore, a festival of ideas and innovation engage and interact with the Indian Shell Eco-marathon (SEM) teams at Singapore; and connect with like-minded energy start-ups from across Asia
- Will pitch their ideas at the Shell Technology Centre inauguration event in Bengaluru
- Winner: The Shell jury will identify the one best energy idea/ product/ service /start-up amongst the three finalists. The winner will be will be entitled to the following:
- The winning start-up will be awarded prize money of ₹10,00,000 INR along with mentorship by senior Shell and industry leaders that will help build a strong value proposition and enable them to access funding to scale.
5. Who can I get in touch with?
About the Global Campaign
6. What is #makethefuture?
#makethefuture is about ideas – a global collaboration that will bring to life the bright ideas for tomorrow’s energy challenges. Globally, we are using more energy than ever before. At the same time, the significance of climate change means the world has to reduce CO2 emissions. Shell is backing innovative thinking to make today's energy go further and to find cleaner energy to take us towards a low-carbon world. Great ideas come from conversation, collaboration, partnerships; great minds coming together. For more information about #makethefuture, visit www.shell.com/makethefuture.
7. How can people get involved in the campaign?
The world needs more and cleaner energy and we will achieve it through working together. We are inviting people to show their support with the simple click of a button, with the option to learn more and make a real difference. People can show their support by visiting www.shell.com/showyoursupport